Spring Things to Do
May 01, 2016 at 11:06 PM
There are a lot of things to do in Harrisburg in the spring. We've combined the comments you posted on the My Home My Harrisburg Facebook page with some ideas of our own. Check them out, then go do a few of these today!
1. Harrisburg Days is fun for the entire family! There is the carnival and tractor pull for the kids and live music each night for the adults! Held June 10, 11, and 12th! Watch for details at http://www.harrisburgdays.com/.
2. Attend or participate in the 32nd Annual All City Rummage Sale Thursday, June 2 - Saturday, June 4, 2016 (times vary by individual rummage sale). Visit this link for more information: http://www.harrisburgdays.com/community-programs/community-rummage-sales/all-city-rummage-sale/.
3. Go visit the neighbors and visit around the fire pit while the kids play.
4. Plan a block party with your neighbors.
5. Go on a bike ride or a walk around our beautiful town with family or friends!
6. Attend all the many sports and fine arts activities our 6 grade schools, 2 middle schools, and the high school have to offer!
7. Make sand castles and hike at Lake Alvin.
8. Check out horseback riding lessons at CK Stables.
9. Go shopping at the Robin’s Nest.
10. Count train cars as the train passes through town.
11. Kayak on Lake Alvin with friends with family or friends.
12. Watch the sunrise or sunset.
13. Attend the Car Hop at the First United Methodist Church and enjoy burgers, hot dogs, chips, and homemade ice cream.
14. Go to the movie in the park at Heartland Park.
15. Go hiking at Blood Run, Good Earth State Park, or Lake Alvin.
16. Bring your pets to the vet at the Dakota Large and Small Animal Clinic.
17. Try geocaching! There are a handful of well-hidden caches in Harrisburg.
18. Go to one of the many After 5 Art Party events.
19. Look for fish and turtles in the ponds.
20. Take the kids to free story time and crafts at the wonderful community library!
21. Spruce up your yard with a landscaping project!
22. Cultivate and plant a garden in your backyard. Or do you like gardening don’t have space for one, purchase a plot from our community garden – Grand Gardens – for $35 a month.
23. Involve your kids in local community organizations such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and 4-H.
24. Attend a Harrisburg Tigers Baseball or softball game, join the board, or enroll your kids today!
25. Fly a kite at a local park with the kids!
26. Set up a bean bag tournament with your neighbors.
27. Create your own camp-out in the backyard!
28. Go fishing for one of the many types of fish Lake Alvin offers: walleye, Northern Pike, crappie, perch, catfish, sunfish, and bullheads.
29. Pack a picnic for you and your date or for the whole family at Lake Alvin or at one of the many local parks.
30. Take your friends – or the kids – golfing at Spring Creek Country Club.
31. Head to the beach at Lake Alvin – play sand volleyball, go swimming, relax and take in the sun and water!
32. Play croquet with neighbors in your cul-de-sac.
33. Check out the local parks: Ellis Larson Park, Heartland Park, Hugh Robinson Park, Knight’s Crossing Park, Lion’s club Park, or Legion Park.
34. Grab a pizza from Casey’s.
35. Take your pups to play at to the local dog park, Rover Range Park.
36. Practice t-ball and catch in the yard with the kids and their friends.
37. Enroll your kids in soccer.
38. Play a fun game of flashlight tag in the yard.
39. Go for a motorcycle ride or even better yet on a poker run.
40. Go to Lava's Javas and Treats – they even have a drive-up window for convenience! It’s a great place to meet friends. Attend Coffee Connections on the last Tuesday of each month from 7:30-9:30am. Your 1st cup is on us!
41. Hang a tire swing on the biggest tree in the backyard.
42. Build a sandbox so the kids can forever create sandcastles right at home.
43. Build a tree house or playhouse for the kids – it’ll keep them entertained for hours at a time!
44. Set up a treasure hunt for the neighborhood kids.
45. Play Frisbee, take a boat ride, or skip rocks at Lake Alvin.
46. Go to the South Dakota Youth Track and Field Championships on May 21. Find more info at http://southdakotayouthtrackandfield.com/
47. Check out the Summer Performing Arts for your kids! Check out the flyer for more information: http://harrisburgsd.gov/files/4314/6158/7099/2016_SPA_flyer.pdf.
48. Support local schools at the Tiger Nation Golf outing on June 12 at Spring Creek Golf Course.
49. Grab food on Takeout Tuesday! The 2nd Tuesday of every month, a side or drink at a specific eatery in town will be provided by Codi Nincehelser, Keller Williams Realty & Amber Steinberg, Farm Bureau Financial Services. Watch the calendar on the My Home My Harrisburg website for details.
50. Play horseshoes with family and friends in the backyard or at one of the local parks.